The town of Oxford is in New Haven County, located in southwestern Connecticut. The Pootatuck and Paugussett were followed by English settlers around the 1680s. Named for Oxford, England, the town was incorporated from parts of Derby and Southbury in October of 1798. Oxford was the first area to separate from Derby in 1798. Early manufacturing took advantage of waterpower and the economy was built on small farms and mills. Later, tanneries produced harnesses and leather goods including folded leather cases for daguerreotypes and ambrotypes. In addition, locally raised Merino sheep gave rise to processing mills and other related industries. Today Oxford is a rural suburb.